Halloween is such a fun time of year with all the fun costumes, spooky decorations, cheesy horror movies and candy! I always do some indoor decorating for the holiday, but this year, I really felt inspired to make the outside of the house look Halloween-o-rific as well. As with many of my creative ideas these days, I was inspired by something I stumbled across while perusing Pinterest, however, the original link simply had some photos of decor that an artist had done - no instructions. I decided to use their photos as a guide to get my project going. Here's the finished result. Spooky Fun!
Here's what you will need:
- cardboard (I still had plenty of moving boxes left in the garage!)
- black spray paint
- colored tissue paper
- utility knife/box cutter
- marker or pencil
- dowel rods or other wooden sticks for support
- some artistic ability or a template of your choice
How to make your delightfully scary Halloween window silhouettes:
1. Draw or trace your designs on the cardboard. I just free-handed it, and honestly it wasn't that difficult, because the monster shapes are pretty basic. For the hands, I did trace my own arm/hand.
2. Cut out the shapes
3. Spray paint with the black paint or you could use foam brushes and craft paint. I did a couple of coats of spray paint with the cheap $1 cans of paint from Walmart.
4. Tape colored tissue paper to the back side of the cut outs to make the eyes and other cut out areas.
5. Tape dowel rods or other support behind any areas that need it - for instance, my googly eyes needed it, and the little monster arms standing up also. You can find packs of these small rods at Walmart or the local craft store.
6. Prop your spooky new friends in the window and wait for the sun to go down! My hubby also suggested switching the light bulbs out with colored bulbs for an added effect, but we haven't tried it yet. Added bonus, the monsters even look cute during the day!!
** I used clear packing tape to put the hands in the window **
This was actually a really inexpensive and fun project! Get creative and have fun!