Friday, May 17, 2013

Yummy Breakfast Tostadas

I'm always on the lookout for yummy, simple and healthy breakfast ideas. I'm not a huge fan of breakfast cereals, muffins and waffles. Okay - correction - I AM a fan of those things, I just know that when I eat them I usually end up with way too much sugar and feeling blah. Plus, I've been trying to limit my gluten intake. My newest breakfast favorite is a breakfast tostada packed with protein and veggies. It's really delicious and gluten free AND the entire breakfast pictured below is a little less than 300 calories! There are many possible variations on this recipe, so feel free to change it up to suit what you like. I'll also throw in some suggestions with the recipe below!

Just a note, I usually eat breakfast after dropping the little one off at school when it's just me and a cup of hot tea at the house, so this recipe only makes one tostada, however, it is very easy to adjust it for more servings - simply add more eggs and veggies to the mix!



Breakfast Tostada

Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp butter
  • 1 large egg; whites and yolk whisked together to make scrambled egg
  • 1 Tbsp Salsa
  • 1 Tbsp Diced Red Pepper
  • Sprinkle of Chili Powder
  • Sprinkle of Salt (optional)
  • Corn Tostada
  • 1/4 ripe avocado, sliced
Directions:
  1. Melt butter in small skillet over medium low heat. I like butter for the flavor, but you can substitute your favorite natural cooking oil.
  2. Add whisked egg, diced red pepper and generous sprinkle of chili powder. I don't tend to measure my chili powder - just give it a good sprinkle to coat. Also, at this time, you can add other veggies too if you would like. Sometimes, if I have any leftover baked potatoes, I will diced 1/4 of one up and add that in too or some diced green pepper or tomato. You may also sprinkle a bit of salt if you like, but with the salt from the tostada it really isn't necessary.
  3. While eggs are cooking, pop the tostada in either the toaster oven or regular oven to crisp it up a bit. I sometimes skip this step and just use them straight out of the package, and to me they are still just as yum! If you're going for gluten free, just make sure to check the tostada package to make sure they haven't added any extras to them. I try to find the most simple, natural, tostadas the store offers and haven't had any trouble finding gluten free, organic, non GMO tostadas at the major stores.
  4. When eggs are almost done, add Tbsp of your favorite natural or homemade salsa. If you don't have any salsa on hand, natural or homemade taco sauce or enchilada sauce would add a nice kick also - or even simply some diced tomato if you prefer. Just a warning, if you add this before the egg is almost fully cooked, it might be a bit too watery.
  5. Pour your cooked egg skillet mixture on your tostada, top with some ripe avocado slices and enjoy! You may also drizzle with a little extra salsa or sauce if you like a little extra kick. Don't like avocado? Try a little dollop of sour cream or a sprinkle of shredded cheddar. My hubby also likes to wrap this mixture in a soft tortilla (non-gluten free of course) sometimes rather than the crunchy tostada. The variations are endless! Add a little fruit on the side, and you have a delicious and filling breakfast!
  6. Each breakfast tostada prepared with the recipe above is around 275 calories each.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...