Friday, June 28, 2013

Wall Canvas Picture Holder

I hate clutter and our refrigerator is always covered in everything from picture holiday cards, family photos, and appointments cards. My husband and I just gave birth to our first child about two months ago, so we are adding to those photos and appointment cards at an accelerated rate now. It drives me crazy but I don't want to just throw them away.


I finally decided to do something about the clutter. I've seen cute picture holders at Crate and Barrel and other places, but they cost at least $50. I decided to design my own and create a location other than the fridge to display all those pictures. 

 
To make your own version you will need the following:
  • painting canvas
  • craft paint
  • stencil pouncers
  • stencils or silk screens
  • ribbon
  • twine
  • clothes pins
  • scrapbook paper
  • Elmer's glue
  • Scissors or paper cutter
  • staple gun and staples
 
To put it all together:
 
Gather your supplies.
 
 
Paint your canvas background any color that coordinates with the décor in the area you are going to hang it. I had to do three coats for mine, but the lighter the color you choose, the less coats you will have to do.
 
 
While your paint is drying, cut out the scrapbook paper to the measurements of one side of a clothes pin and then glue it on using Elmer's glue.  These are so easy and cute for all kinds of uses but we can get into that in another post.
 


 
 
Next, use your stencils or silk screens to create your design.  I found some really cool silk screens by Martha Stewart that were pretty easy to use!
 
 
Once you feel like your canvas is exactly the way you want it, start attaching the ribbon and twine by stapling it on the back of the canvas.
 

 
Check out the final product!!
 
 
And even better, now all my refrigerator needs is a wipe down with some glass cleaner and I regain my sanity!! For me, it's the little things...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...